Saturday, February 19, 2011

What is Love?

INTERPRETATION

Each and every one of us loves differently and interprets love differently.  Have you ever read the book "Love Languages?"  If not I truly recommend it.  I remember my parents reading the book in their Sunday school class when I was younger.  But honestly I never understood what the book was explaining until I was married and had children.

I've learned by reading the book, I show love with time and gifts.  I love spending one on one time with my husband, children, family and friends.  I can really listen to them and give them all of my attention.  I also love giving gifts.  My heart wants to give gifts to everyone I meet, but my wallet doesn't allow me to bless others YET.  I notice when I talk to others, I remember the small things they say they need or want.  I love buying those things for them because it shows them, I love them enough to remember.  The way I show my love is exactly how I like to receive love and for the same reasons too.

My husband shows love with his actions and words.  He never hesitates to say, "I love you!"  He is always willing to serve those without grumbling or hesitating (most the time).  The way he shows love is exactly how he likes to receive love.  But I only knew how to love David the way I wanted to, not the way he NEEDED to be loved.

Before David and I understood love languages we were a mess.  I had no clue why I had to tell him I loved him, when I was there with him and spending time with him.  I didn't understand whenever I didn't feel like doing something FOR him, he felt slighted and unloved.  David struggled in the same way.  He didn't understand that even though we spent all day together with the children, watching tv or a movie and in the same house...why I still felt alone.  He didn't understand why I felt slighted and neglected when he would go fishing for 8 hours at a time.  We both did not understand each others love language and it was destroying us.

Once we understood what each other's (and our kids) love languages were, we were able to feel fufilled.  There was no more MISUNDERSTANDING and satan couldn't destroy the beautiful marriage we had!  David has learned I need time just with him to just talk, love and cuddle.  I have learned I need to tell David how much I love him and show him with my actions by doing things for him without grumbling or rolling my eyes.  All of this understanding has opened a door of communication David and I have FIREPROOF'd our marriage with (which Fireproof is another AMAZING movie). 

We are still learning a lot about each other.  We aren't the perfect couple by any means and we don't have the solutions for all the marital problems in the world.  But we KNOW for a fact that we love each other.  We also know for a fact that all the work it takes to make our marriage tick is WORTH IT!

"If you aren't willing to break down the walls built around your heart, how can anyone truly love you?"

All my chores are done, I just need to spend some time with the Lord and pray by my husbands bedside.  Continue to keep David in your prayers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment